Friday, February 10, 2012

30-Day Book Challenge: Day 22

Day 22 – Favorite book I own

This one was tough because I own almost all my favorite books! In fact, I own almost all the books I've written about during this series so far, including the complete Harry Potter series, The Time Traveler's Wife, a good number of Jodi Picoult novels and of course all my childhood favorites (I'm saving those to read to my kids one day). But I don't want to repeat books in this challenge, so I'm going to go with a stocking stuffer I got from my mom a few years ago:

 
Image via Noblemania

What's the Difference? This book came with me to college and was often a source of amusement for my friends and me. It is quite the wealth of knowledge: my favorite section is "geek vs. nerd," which also includes bonus information about the related terms "dweeb" and "dork." I know you're dying to know the difference now, so to sum it up:

"A geek seems to be any smart person with an obsessive interest. Despite widespread misconception, that interest does not have to be computers or Star Trek."

"A nerd seems to be any smart person with an obsessive interest, but also a lack of social grace. (Yes, this implies that geeks can indeed have social grace.)"

"A dweeb is a nerd with an extra piece of tape around the nose bridge of his glasses - in other words, a 'mega nerd.' A dork is a person you don't even pretend to like, with good reason. Unlike most geek, nerds, and dweebs, dorks are often stupid, grating, or otherwise unpleasant."

P.S. - When I opened the book to find "geek vs. nerd," it fell open to the right spread (p30-31). I guess I've referenced that section one time too many!

No comments: