Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Book Chat: Reading Resolutions

I know I already said I'm not one for New Year's Resolutions, but I'm all about reading goals! :) Today's book chat prompt is reading resolutions for 2013, so I came up with four reading-related goals I would love to accomplish this year:

Photos via @mcstroup on Instagram

1. Read 53 books.
I read this many books in 2012, and 46 of them were in the first six months. Now that I'm more accustomed to my consultant lifestyle—which caused my much slower reading pace in the second half of the year—I surely hope I can at least match that number again!

2. Participate in The Book Chat more often!
Not only is this one of my favorite link-ups, but Jessica is one of my absolute favorite bloggers, and I would love to participate in The Book Chat more regularly in 2013. Ideally, I would love to participate every single week, but I'll aim for at least two per month to be more realistic.

3. Identify a specific topic for my novel.
One of my "unofficial" resolutions for 2012 was to finish writing a novel, and that definitely didn't happen. Although all the novels I've started writing in the past have been young adult novels, I would love to write a historical fiction novel one day. This year, I want to at least figure out what time period and historical characters I want to write about, then hopefully the rest will come sooner rather than later.

4. Read for at least 30 minutes each day.
My reading really took a nose dive after I started traveling for Alpha Delta Pi in July, and I would love to get back in the habit of reading every single day, like I did in Santa Fe. Additionally, if I commit to reading at least 30 minutes every day, I have a feeling I'll get hooked in the story and end up reading for longer than half an hour more often than not. 

Photobucket

What are your reading goals for this year?

7 comments:

Jessica Bucher said...

Yeah! Love #2! Totally made me smile. :)
I think you would write a historical novel. Can't wait to read it!

melissa said...

I really like your goals and I think they're perfect for your new job and lifestyle. Can't wait to see you more around The Book Chat- that's definitely one of my resolutions too (to participate more, I love it!) even though I didn't blog outwardly about it. It's so fun to all come together and chat about books :D

Erinn C.D. said...

I am a big fan of your read 30 minutes each day goal. I get caught up on my computer too much and I think I need to try that goal out to help me read more. I'm definitely more of a marathon reader but I think I can get more out of my books if I have a time limit per day.
I look forward to seeing your book chats more in 2013!

Anonymous said...

One of my goals last year was to read for a certain amount each day and it was so helpful. Good luck on your novel :)

Anonymous said...

If the book is really good, I could read it for hours. Harry Potter, for instance. My goal is to read 52 books this year; a book a week. I wasn't able to make my 50 books goal happen last year, though. I blame the first half of the year being taken up by my last semester of college, lol. I didn't really have a lot of space in my schedule for pleasure reading, though I definitely tried to make some. Right now, I'm reading MWF Seeking BFF by Rachel Bertsche and will probably read Little Women next for a book club. My novel is another thing I'm working on this year. I decided to write a chapter a week since writing so many words a day wasn't working. I'm hoping to get the rest of Chapter 1 of my story finished tomorrow. Good luck with your goals and I hope you have a great weekend! :)

Unknown said...

great reading resolutions! I'm trying to do 30 minutes of reading as well, but only every other week since every day is tooooo much for me. hahah

Unknown said...

I love your reading goals this year! I am also going to try to read every night!