Thursday, February 12, 2015

Why I Don't Wear Make-Up

Here's the short history of my relationship with cosmetics: In middle school, when all my friends started wearing make-up, I'd occasionally experiment with eye shadow. Like, once every two months. In high school, my mom had to practically lock me in her bathroom to do my face for formal events like Homecoming and prom. I always assumed I would start wearing make-up when I got to college, but even then I only found myself applying make-up for special events like sorority recruitment or interviews. When I got my first office job after graduation, the make-up still didn't make an appearance after the job interview.

Now that I'm in my mid-20s, I still don't wear make-up on a daily (or even regular) basis. Want to know why?


photo via Jorg Weingrill on Flickr

I'm lazy.

Yup, I said it. I wish I could say it's because I feel beautiful without make-up, or because I'm confident of my inner beauty, or because I accept my imperfections, or some other awesome feel-good thing, but the cold, hard truth is that I am lazy.

I would rather spend ten extra minutes in bed than put on make-up.

Because I don't wear make-up often, when I do wear it I'm constantly worried about: "Oh, did I smudge something there? Is my sweat making my foundation look weird? Do I have to reapply my lipstick now?"

I would rather get compliments on how "nice" I look when I spontaneously dab on some tinted moisturizer and lip gloss to go to work than have people ask me what's wrong if I decided not to wear make-up one day.

Also, when I say I don't wear make-up, I feel like I have to clarify that I don't wear any cosmetics. Except chapstick. And (non-tinted) face moisturizer, if you're lucky. I didn't realize until recently that when I say "I don't wear make-up," most people think I just wear foundation and mascara, or some other low-key combination. Nope, I mean zilch. Zip. Nada.

Here are some examples of times in the past year I have worn make-up: For my wedding. For my bridal shower. For a job interview. For another job interview. For my bachelorette party. For a friend's wedding (that I was part of). For ... hmm. I think that might be it. Maybe one night out at the bars, if I was feeling really sassy.

Now, this isn't to say I have anything against make-up. I know a lot of people who wear make-up on a daily basis, and that's great for them. I know I look a lot better when I take the time to put my face on, I'm just too lazy to do it. ;) Wearing make-up is a personal choice, and as long as you feel beautiful and confident, I would support you going barefaced, or wearing green eyeshadow and red lipstick, or choosing a look anywhere in between.

What's your make-up regimen? Do you wear it daily? Only for special occasions? Somewhere in between? Why? I'd love to hear your relationship with cosmetics in the comments below; I'm genuinely curious!

Linking up with Nicole for Treat Yo'Self Thursday.

No comments: