Thursday, August 6, 2015

Best of Summer: Two Months in Review

Technically, I know August is still summer (and most of September), but I'm trying not to let three months go by again without a little life update from yours truly.

Most Popular on Instagram & Notable Events

1 | 2 | 3 | 4

This summer has been pretty slow thus far; I'm only taking one summer class and back to working one part-time job, but somehow having all that free time means I'm not motivated to do anything. I'm constantly thinking, "Oh, I don't work tomorrow, I can do that then...." Does anyone else get this way? Do you have any tips to get me motivated?? :) We have taken a few trips, however, in true #travelbug fashion. We attended a wedding in Hollister, I spent a weekend in Pasadena with my mom, I visited my grandparents in Pennsylvania for the Fourth of July (hence the airplane sunrise photo above), we visited some cousins at the beach in mid-July, and we just got back from a long weekend in Vail (more photos to come soon!). Hmm, now that I write it out I guess we've been busier than it seemed.... ;)

Most Popular on the Blog

I only posted five non-challenge posts in June and July, so here's a quick round-up:
5. The Top 10 Books on my Summer TBR List (June 16) [I've read half so far!]
4. Let's Discuss: Book Reviews and Ratings (June 9)
3. How do you measure success? (June 8)
2. Currently: making "wedding guest" my part-time job. (June 3)
1. Best of Spring: Two Months in Review (June 2) 

photo via @megtristao

On My Bookshelf

Remember to follow me on Goodreads for reviews! I love to see what everyone is reading and hear your thoughts.

Yes, read this! Especially if you enjoy the genre.
I'll Give You the Sun, Jandy Nelson (young adult)
Americanah, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (adult fiction)
Until You're Mine, Samantha Hayes (mystery/thriller)
The Opposite of Loneliness, Marina Keegan (nonfiction & short stories)
Paper Towns, John Green (young adult)
Orange is the New Black, Piper Kerman (nonfiction/memoir)
I'll Meet You There, Heather Demetrios (young adult)
A Dance with Dragons, George R.R. Martin (fantasy)
This book was okay, but there are definitely better ones out there.
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry, Gabrielle Zevin (adult fiction)
Where They Found Her, Kimberly McCreight (mystery/thriller)
We Need New Names, NoViolet Bulawayo (adult fiction)
Paris Red, Maureen Gibbon (historical fiction: 1860s Paris)
Blue Like Jazz, Donald Miller (nonfiction/memoir)
I did not personally enjoy this book.
The Lightning Thief, Rick Riordan (children's fiction; listened on audiobook) 
The Tiger's Wife, Tea Obreht (adult fiction)
Tehran at Twilight, Salar Abdoh (adult fiction)
Love Me Back, Merritt Tierce (adult fiction)
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, Marie Kondo (nonfiction/self-help)
Big Little Lies, Liane Moriarty (adult fiction; listened on audiobook)
The Good Girl, Mary Kubica (mystery/thriller)

I read a lot of so-so books in the past two months, but I've also read a few that have already become favorites (i.e. I'll Give You the Sun and Americanah). I recently completed my summer reading challenge and my Goodreads challenge, so my next goal is to finish the PopSugar Ultimate Reading Challenge! You can follow my progress here.

How is your summer going thus far? Have you been able to take any vacations? Do you have any good beach reads to recommend?

No comments: